Tabs

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Its time for my first entry!

I have been thinking about starting this blog for about a year, so here we go!  I guess I will start off by telling you how I got started with spinning/indoor cycling. 

In late 2006, I had found myself about 25lbs overweight, single and ready to give my life a jump start.  I started working out at the little "gym" that we had in my apartment complex.  About 3 weeks later, I met my soon-to-be husband who was in great shape and loved working out.  Soon thereafter, I joined his gym and really started to get passionate about fitness. 

After about a month of listening to all the fun going on upstairs in the spinning room, I decided to sign up for my first class.  Tuesday came and went, I did not go to class because I was scared, itimidated and didn't think I was capable of "doing it".  Next Tuesday came around, I signed up and showed up this time!  The instructor was this little, perky, ripped woman who was more than happy to introduce herself, get me set up and kick my ass.  The room was very, very dark, the music was very, very loud (it was awesome!) and I was very, very sweaty.  I could barely keep up and I think I may have stayed seated for 99% of the class, as I was not strong enough to do anything else.

The next day, my "lady bits" and bum were so sore!!!  I thought that sitting on that hard seat was the worst part of class.  As I had been told, that pain does go away, so I went the following Tuesday and pretty much every Tuesday after that for about a year.  At one point, I was taking class four times a week and loving every sweaty minute of it!

That little, perky, ripped instructor and I had become friends after all of that time.  I had become a "regular" in her class and slowly made my way from the very back of the room to front and center!  I even got my fiance (we were engaged in March of 2007) to join me and converted him into a cycling psycho too!  Through cycling and cleaning up my nutition, I managed to lose about 25-30lbs.

The next thing I know, that little, perky, ripped instructor had been prompting me to think about getting certified to teach a spin class.  My first thoughts were; "oh my gosh! No one is going to want to watch my chubby ass pedal for an hour!",  "I haven't taught anything in my life!", "How the heck would I talk and spin at the same time??". 

A few months had gone by and that darn instructor brought it up again, so I started to do some research on how to get certified.  Although I already had a full time office job, I thought it would be nice to have some extra "fun" money and also to get to do something that I absolutely love. 

That instructor ended up putting in her notice and leaving us for another gym.  This is what pushed me to my spinning orientation to get certified to teach.  We were without an instructor and I knew that I could do it.  I was taught by the best and I knew with some practice, I could do it! 

Less than two weeks after my certification, I was teaching my first class.  It was June of 2009 by this time and my husband (we were married September 6, 2008) was my best cheerleader.  He would be my guinea pig, give me feedback, help me find great music and generally just encouraged me along the way.

That pretty much sums up how I got here today!  I got a fantastic opportunity to teach at a very elite spin/indoor cycling facility one day a week, so I had put in my notice at the original gym.  Most of my "regulars" have found me and followed me to the new place.  Its been so great to meet new people and also to see familiar faces in the crowd.

I am so lucky to have such a great job with such professional, wonderful people around me.

I still work my full time job, but I am truly a cycle psycho underneath it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment