Tabs

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Journey to be Healthy

This will probably be the most personal and hardest post I have written thus far.

While I am not the skinniest kid on the block, I am strong, fit and in a positive place in my life.  That was not the case many years ago and I had my expanding waist-line to show for it.  I thought some of you could relate to my story and perhaps connect with the struggles and accomplishments that I also had in my life.

We all know that cigarettes, tons of alcohol, fast food, 4 hours of sleep a night and ZERO workouts is not the way that a healthy person lives.  Yet, this was my life from about the time I was 22 until about 2005, when I turned 26.  I was also dealing with anxiety and depression for which I took 2 different types of medication to monitor and control. 

My "rock bottom" was when I moved from Baltimore, Maryland back to Upstate New York and had to start my life over after a devastating break-up.  Yes, I realize that is very cliche, but I thank my lucky stars when I think about that time in my life.  I knew that I was the only one in charge of my own happiness and my own health, so I needed to get moving! 

I got myself a great job with the Department of Health, got a great apartment and started to work on making ME happy for a change.  I started working out at my little apartment "gym" a few days a week.  I had no idea what all that equipment was for, but I tried.  About 10 months later (and many hilarious and dreadful 1st dates), I met the man that I would marry.  With his help, I joined a real gym and was there regularly.  After going for a few months, I found myself in my first spin class!  The instructor was great and I got the courage to get in and out of the saddle with more and more confidence and strength as the weeks went by. 

I had lost about 10 pounds in that first year.  Was it the 30 pounds that I expected?  No, but I appreciated all of it!  After being encouraged by that great instructor, I got certified to teach spinning and got my own class right away.  Along with being on the bike, I also trained with a personal trainer and learned that weight lifting is just as important as a cardio workout.  The next year, I had lost another 10 pounds and got married!!

As the months went by, I started teaching more and more and even got certified to teach Les Mills Bodypump which is a barbell weight lifting class.  I also took many continuing education courses in health and fitness to expand my knowledge.  My weight did fluctuate 5-8 pounds here and there throughout the years, but after 3 years of training, I lost those final 10 pounds, totalling about 30-35 pounds lost!

Fast-forward to today, I have maintained my weight for over 2 years through clean eating and exercise and I couldn't be happier.  No, working out is not enough to make you truly content with your life, but it sure does help!  I am also very thankful to have a super supportive husband and a family of friends that I cherish.

I have some pictures below of my weight loss.  I think you can see that I am smiling on the inside and out!
~2004, Halloween.  2011 during a Bodypump class.
2008, still 10 pesky pounds to lose.

Fall 2011, my first Duathlon.  Please don't mind my "no makeup" look!


7 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration!!!!! love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Angela,
    I am an avid follower of your blog. I think this story that you shared was necessary for people to know that you can accomplish so much even if you hit rock bottom. I am inspired by your story and THANK YOU for being a positive role model for others. Also, you have some of the best music ever!!!!
    Mimi (See my blog at mimispinstrong.com)

    ReplyDelete