Tabs

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

How to avoid gaining extra holiday pudge (no, I didn't say fudge!)

If you are anything like me, you worry each and every holiday season that you will gain 20 pounds.  I don't know if its that the holidays put me in an especially good mood, or if its that I am surrounded by delicious snacks and treats that I usually only have once a year, but I feel myself compromising my good senses and indulging more often than usual.

I also find myself on the scale each morning in fear that those holiday pounds are already creeping onto my thighs.  Luckily, I made it through Thanksgiving without gaining and am still holding my weight steady as of this morning (yay!).

I am by no means a trained professional (although I did minor in nutrition at Syracuse University) and you should always consult your doctor before changing your diet, but here are a few tricks that I use to make sure I can enjoy the holidays without suffering with the guilt and pounds on January 2nd.

Office Party:
If it is a potluck type situation make sure that you bring something that is tasty, festive and health conscious.  That way, you can fill up on your own dish and just try a bit or two of the more calorie dense foods.  I have brought things like hummus with pitas and fresh veggies, homemade salsa verde with blue corn tortilla chips, flatbread pizzas, shrimp with tequila cocktail sauce or how about a big salad with tons of roasted veggies?  I like to use cookinglight.com for recipe ideas also.

House/Cocktail Party:
Here is a great article on cocktails that are fun, festive and lower in calories. http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/smart-choices/holiday-cocktails-00412000069027/
I also suggest eating dinner or a meal before going to one of these events.  That way, you are not feeling the urge to graze on less than healthy options all night long.  We all know that after a few cocktails, you could be more likely to forget all about your good eating habits and splurge.  It only takes an extra 100 calories per day to gain 10 pounds in a year!

Brunch:
I love brunch.  It could very well be my favorite meal.  Try focusing on filling your plate with lots of fruits and veggies.  Quiches and dishes with rich sauces are going to be a major calorie pitfall for you.  If you can get eggs made to order, have one scrambled with some spinach or other veggies and a little bit of Tabasco.  They will be super flavorful and save you some calories that you can spend on that muffin that has been staring at you! 

The Big Holiday Dinner:
My family (for some reason) likes to have an early dinner on Christmas, like around 3pm.  We usually get to my mom's house around 1pm or so and that is when all of her yummy appetizers are served.  Who can pass up spinach and artichoke dip?  Not me!!  For me, its all about balance and spending my calories how and when I want to throughout the day.  So, if I have some yummy dip, I try to eat a big salad with my dinner and avoid that dinner roll with real butter.  Again, I try to fill my plate with mostly veggies, lean protein and a few good carbs.  I enjoy my dinner, but I don't feel guilty or stuffed by the end of the night.

So, all in all, its all about spending your calories how and when you want to.  I am allowed about 2000 calories a day and I try to stick to that even at Christmas dinner.  You should always enjoy yourself, so don't focus on counting each calorie, but try to be a little aware of what you are consuming. 

Happy Holidays!  Can you find the fat kitty in the picture?


No comments:

Post a Comment