Tabs

Thursday, January 13, 2011

A few points of Spinning Etiquette

Yesterday, upstate New York experienced it's first big snow storm of the year.  Throughout Tuesday night and Wednesday, we ended up getting about 14 inches!  My 5:30am class ended up being cancelled because it would be too dangerous for me to drive in (even though I live right down the road) and there probably wouldn't be very many participants anyhow.

The good news is that I was asked to cover the class right after mine, so I got to teach twice anyhow!  It was fun teaching for 2 hours in a row and I even had a couple of people stay through the whole thing (including my awesome husband).

When I teach/coach a class, I tend to put every once of energy and heart I have into it.  I am very passionate about keeping people motivated, safe and happy.  I try to stay positive and encourage them to do their own personal best on the bike.  I was a bit thrown off last night (which rarely happens) because of weird behavior.  So, here are my personal "do's" and "don't" while in class.  You may disagree, but this is just one instructors perspective and I know some participants rarely think about us having feelings, but we do ; ) 

DO show up to class on time.
DO show up early if it is you are new to spinning/cycling.
DO bring water and a towel.
DO come to class ready to work hard.
DO believe in yourself and your strength.
DO try to listen to the instructor to help you with form, etc.
DO have fun!
DO feel free to shout, whoop it up, clap, do what YOU have to do to keep it fun.
DO ask questions before or after class if you need to
DO bring a friend
DO suggest songs - I always take requests!!
DO tell me if my microphone is too loud - it is hard to tell when its on my head ; )
DO feel extremely proud of yourself for completing a tough class
DO thank yourself for being able to take this time for yourself

DO NOT talk loudly with your neighbor for the entire 60 minutes.  I know we are all friends, and it is cool to chit chat, but be considerate of others.
DO NOT pedal as fast as you can with no resistance for 60 minutes.  We design our rides with hills, flats and mountains for a specific reason and to keep you healthy.
DO NOT try to compete with anyone.  You are there for your OWN health and the only competition in the room is within yourself.
DO NOT use your cell phone while in class.  I understand if there is an emergency, so please excuse yourself to use your phone.  Again, it can bother others in the room when they are trying to focus.
DO NOT feel badly if you cannot "keep up" with me, or anyone else.  You are doing the best that YOU can!
DO NOT give up!  You are stronger than you think and it will get a bit easier with time : )

Phew, now that I got that out of the way, here is my ride from last night (6:30pm class was a repeat of 1/5/11).

Warm Up
My Life on the Crazy Train - mashup, Best of Bootie 2010

Hills
Hey Hey Hey - Michael Franti

Climb
Down and Out - Tantric

Running Flats
Good Girls Burn Miami - Best of Bootie 2009

Climb
Billie Jean on the Storm - Amoraboy

Hills
My Body -Young the Giant

Hills
Only Prettier - Miranda Lambert (my husband hates this song, he,he)

Flats
We R Who We R - Ke$ha

Hills
Teenage Dream - Katy Perry

Sprints
Something in Your Mouth - Nickelback

Climb
Dream On - Aerosmith

Climb
Nothin on You - Bruno Mars

Running Hills
Laid - James

Cool Down
PDA - John Legend

7 comments:

  1. Great list.

    We have this one guy who is like the TEAM MOTIVATOR. He cracks me up with all his yelling and hollering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ettiquette points. If I was an instructor, I think this would be my do/don't list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela! First of all, I am also in Upstate New York (near Syracuse). We actually did not get as much snow as those of you to our east. I really like your rules of 'ettiquette'. We have a shorter version displayed on the wall where I teach. Unfortunately, many people still don't follow them. Even some of our regular riders. I have a woman that talks on the phone during every class. It drives me crazy! The other day when she was talking, I turned the music up and started talking loudly into my mic. She looked at me as if I was the one being rude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you guys agreed! I felt sort of regretful after I posted this blog entry, but I guess it was appreciated ; )

    Chris - I am an SU alumni (class of 2001!!) They just opened a Dinosaur BBQ in Troy - so now we don't have to travel all the way to Syracuse ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Angela!
    Just found your blog (thanks to Chris!) and love it. I too am a blogging spin instructor (although my full time job has recently distracted me a bit) and am always excited to "meet" other like minded people.
    I'm going to start following your site and look forward to chatting in the future.
    And yes, I agree completely with all of your rules. I hate when I feel like a teacher who has to discipline a class. I usually tell the chatty ones that if they can talk that easily then they're not working hard enough. That usually gets a smile.
    Be well!
    Jessica @ FitTalker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jessica!
    I am so glad to "meet" you as well : ) I also like the "if you are talking to your neighbor, you should probably up that resistance" trick!!

    Yes, my full time job gets in the way of my spin blogging fun sometimes also, so I know what you mean ; )

    Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry but it is NOT ok to scream out in class. It is extremely distracting to others who are in the zone during their workout. It is everyone's workout, not just the rude, ignorant person who wants to scream out. You don't see people yelling out while on the treadmill! Each participant in the class is a PAYING member, therefore it is not ok to annoy fellow spinners.

    ReplyDelete