Tabs

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Flats, Hills and Climbs - Oh My!!

One of my readers (Hi Alli!) recently asked me to define what I mean when I describe the terrain in my blog.  I teach strictly by Spinnings guidelines, so what that means is that I choose from 1 of 5 different profiles when designing my ride.  http://www.spinning.com/images/Target_Heart.pdf

From there, I figure out what I would like my ride to look like paying close attention to where there heart rates will land.  Keep in mind, these are my interpretations on what I have learned through my certification and continuing education classes.
Flats = cadence: 80-110rpms, lower resistance, you can be in or out of the saddle.
Hills = cadence: 60-80rpms, moderate to heavier resistance, you can be in or out of the saddle.
Climbs = cadence: around 60 rpms, slow and steady with a super heavy gear, in or out of the saddle.
http://www.spinning.com/images/Cadence_Ranges.pdf

So, when I am ready to sit down and make up my ride, I go in this order:
1) decide what profile I would like (interval, strength, etc.).
2) design a ride according to the target heart rates in that profile.
3) choose music to help the class stay with a steady cadence.
4) listen to the music while visualizing the ride and make adjustments as needed.
5) teach a kick ass class!

I hope this helps!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it. I took a class from AFAA but am not Spinning (R)certified yet -- my certification with them is at the end of January. I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Let me know how it goes!!!!

    ReplyDelete