Tabs

Monday, March 28, 2011

Your Questions, Answered.

I thought I would list out a few questions that I get asked frequently (AKA: FAQ's) before or after class.  Of course, these are mostly paraphrased.

Q: "What do you mean, when you say our resistance should be on a 5 out of 10?"
A:  My 1-10 scale is perceived exertion because each bikes resistance is different, as is every BODY on the bike.  A flat road is someplace between 1-3, hills are 4-7 or so and big old mountains are 8-10.  For me, a 9 is the toughest, steepest mountain I can climb.  A "9" to me feels like I can barely pedal, my legs are burning, I am breathing heavily.  A 9 to someone else may or may not feel the same way, which is why is it "perceived".  No, there are no numbers printed on the resistance knob to help you. : )

Q: "Why don't we just pedal fast with no resistance the entire time?  Wouldn't I burn more calories that way?"
A:  I could easily coach a class that is all flat roads and yes, you would burn calories doing that.  Heck, you burn calories reading this post!  But, spinning is supposed to simulate a realistic outdoor ride to build your aerobic base, strength and endurance.  In order to make that happen, the "road" is going to change from flat roads, hills, etc.  The most efficient way to burn the most calories in the shortest time period is to ALWAYS pedal with some kind of resistance and switch up your body position and pace.  For example - 125lb female, 32 years old, 60 minutes, no resistance, 90-110 rpms = ~340 calories burned.  125lb female, 32 years old, 60 minutes, various speeds and resistance = ~ 650 calories burned.

Q: "Is spinning/cycling appropriate for all levels of fitness"
A:  Absolutely!!!  It is the lowest impact cardio exercise out there.  Plus, the participant can choose their own pace and resistance.  If you are new, try to show up to class a little early so that the instructor can help you set up your bike and go over the basics.  We have fun, burn calories and it is totally judgment free.

Q: "Why do I run out of energy towards the middle of class?"
A:  Could that be because you hadn't eaten anything before class?  Could you be dehydrated?  I try to eat a snack of at least 100-200 calories about 30 minutes before class.  Complex carbs are usually my snack of choice because they give you a healthy burst of energy.  A 1/2 banana with peanut butter is great!  Make sure to drink plenty of water all day long before our big ride together.

If you have more questions, go ahead and ask away!

6 comments:

  1. Great q&a. As a teacher, how do you feel if student doesn't follow what you say? For instance, you are running, and I want to sprint?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Carolyn! I don't mind at all if some people "do their own thing". As an instructor, you must always remember that you are there for the participants, not your own agenda. Making them happy is our #1 job.

    That being said, I always try to be aware of everyone's actions, so the next class with you, I would be sure to add sprints to make you happy ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I have one instructor who gets so pissed if I want to 'do my own thing' for a song because honestly I have a specific agenda going into a class. It gets on my nerves so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including me in your blog list! I really need to make one of those for my own blog, I feel behind. I wish my gym had spinning, I'd love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, what she needs to always remember is that if you aren't enjoying yourself, you aren't going to attend her class. That is why I don't let that bother me at all. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cara,
    My pleasure! I love so many of your recipes and posts!!

    ReplyDelete