Tabs

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Getting Personal...

As you might have gathered from my last post, we just got home from a great Las Vegas vacation on Wednesday.  About 2 weeks ago, I had interviewed to teach Bodypump at a studio located just north of the town that I live in.  The facility seems wonderful, as do the owners, but unfortunately, the time slots that were available I could not fill due to my super busy schedule.

A few days before leaving for vacation, another gym (again, north of my town) offered me a position to teach Bodypump.  I told them I would think about it and get back to them when I got back from our trip.  I could fit it into my schedule, but it would leave my week even busier than before.

For perspective, here is what my usual week looks like:

Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm(ish) office job
Monday - 5:30pm spin
Tuesday - 6pm spin, 7:15pm spin
Wednesday - 5:30pm spin
Saturday - 10:00 am spin

Usually on Thursdays I will either do boxing or yoga to get some "me" time in the week.  I will also try to lift weights either Monday or Wednesday with my husband before class.  Plus, it isn't just one hour of my day used for teaching, there is research, preparation, set up, break down, meet/greet, travel time, etc. that works into that as well.

After much consideration, I decided not to take the Bodypump position offered to me (Thursday nights) because even though physically it wouldn't be a problem, mentally it didn't seem like the best idea.  I am not complaining at all and I LOVE teaching and would not give up any of my classes for anything in the world, but sometimes you need to take a step back and look at things from another perspective.  I feel incredibly lucky to work in two beautiful facilities now and have such great members/friends that I get to see everyday, but this trip really made me realize that taking care of myself is just as important as taking care of others. 

I also love working in the office for/with my husband.  Although, he has mentioned to me a few times that I could hire someone to do my job here so that I could teach on a more full-time basis, it just never seemed like the right thing to do in my mind.  I could also just be a "stay at home wife" if I wanted to, but that is NOT an option for me either considering my high energy level ; )

Basically, where I am going with this blah, blah, blah post is that you have to appreciate the life you have and you also should celebrate your successes often.  I am going to cherish my Thursday nights off and I am hoping that I have made the right choice.  I know that the window of opportunity was left open for me, so I guess if I did change my mind, I would have a couple of options out there.  Again, I am very fortunate to be appreciated and "wanted" on some degree, but I also need to appreciate myself a little more.

Okay, mega vent over!  Back to your regularly scheduled blogging ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment