Tabs

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Ugh...whole grains!

I went to a registered dietitian back in August because I had about ten pounds lingering that I could not drop, no matter how much I worked out or ate clean/healthy.  She put together a great plan for me, which basically took the items I was already eating and just put them in different portions and in different meals.  I also was instructed to consume about 200-300 more calories a day (I now eat about 1800-2000 cals/day). 

For example, my old lunch would typically be a big veggie salad with either tuna or chicken on top and some oil and vinegar. 

My new lunch is typically a side salad (about 1c or more of veggies), a sandwich (whole grain sandwich thin, 3oz protein, maybe an 1/8 avocado) and 1/2c of low fat cottage cheese. 

Thanks to this new plan of eating less protein and more grains, I was able to go from 134.9 pounds to 126.8 and I have kept it all off!

The only issue I face day to day is getting in those portions of grains.  Mentally, I always thought that carbs were the devil, but that is not the case, you need them for energy!  I try to eat whole grain cereal like Kashi Go Lean Crunch for breakfast, a whole grain sandwich thin for lunch and either whole wheat pasta, brown rice or quinoa.

This way of eating is not appropriate for everyone, but I do suggest seeing a R.D. if you are struggling with weight loss.

What is your favorite way to get whole grains into your diet? 

2 comments:

  1. Did she say anything about fiber supplements? I know I don't get enough in. I do Whole Wheat everything (usually) but I know it isn't enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She basically tries to get all of our fiber needs into our diet through whole foods, so she hasn't mentioned supplements. You get lots of fiber from green leafy veggies, the whole grains you already eat and other sources.

    ReplyDelete